Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Boxwood Wreath DIY

I have been envying boxwood wreaths for a while now and finally decided to make one that I could pull out for Christmas and spring.  I wanted three small wreaths to go along my staircase and did all three for under $20!  The cheapest preserved boxwood wreath I could find on amazon was $20 for one.

Here is what I came up with...




All items I purchased from Hobby Lobby:

three small twig wreaths:  $1.50 each (after 50% off this week--all floral sale)
two boxwood branches in greenery aisle:  $6 each (after 50% off this week--all floral sale)
red ribbon:  $2 (used my 50% off coupon for one item)

Items already on hand:

zip ties--I used two-three white zip ties for each wreath
hot glue gun
sharp scissors or something that cuts floral wire

Step 1:  First cut a long strip of greenery and wrap around wreath then secure with zip tie.  Repeat for the other side and secure with zip tie.  You will need to use every branch of your boxwood greenery so make sure to equal it out.  

Step 2:  Use your hot glue gun to make your zip tied leaves to lay down the way you want.  I try to glue leaves over the zip ties. 

Step 3:  Take small pieces of greenery and fill in the gaps.  Hot glue one leaf at end of small branch to stay put.  This is the longest step.

Same steps apply if you want to make one big boxwood wreath.  Just use a bigger twig wreath and more zip ties.


After making these I wasn't ready to store them in the closet for Christmas so I changed up the ribbon...



I put the third wreath outside on a shepherds hook...I think I might end up moving it elsewhere...
and now I have some boxwood wreaths!

No comments:

Post a Comment