Monday, April 23, 2012

Country Living

window from dinning room--just eating my morning cereal :)
I get asked a lot if I like living out in the country.  I think it is too early for me to answer it honestly, but we have had a lot of interesting-turned-funny experiences that have taught me a lot about myself.  We came from living 4 minutes from Costco to now 30 minutes.  The nearest grocery store is 15 minutes away.  I have learned A LOT about chickens, turkeys and even ducks--from what they eat to what they...well...poop!  I love the peace of living in the country, it can be so quiet that when a cow "moos" I think my cell phone is vibrating.  We have had a variety of baby birds that have been raised in our living room over the past two months.  There has been a permanent "chirping" sound through out our house!  I have also learned that even though we have a well on our property that it still requires electricity to pump the water.  Daryl had a kick out of helping me understand that one.  Our electricity hasn't been high but I just had never  really "thought" about how the water got to our house!  At night it is REALLY dark.  The first week we moved here we were coming home from an errand at night and actually missed our house!  It was so dark we couldn't even see it!  The stars are beautiful at night.  When you try to log in to your wireless internet you are the only name that pulls up.  The UPS lady knows you by name and honks the horn when she drives up the hill.  Although she might only know us by name because Daryl orders all his shirts online:)  Since we don't really know a lot of people yet Evelyn and Jane have become the best of play mates.  When we go to the store Evelyn holds long conversations with the check-out lady and tells her all about her life...it usually goes like this "excuse me...hi!  My name is Evelyn and my birthday is on August 25th and I will be going to kindergarten."  The check out lady kindly nodds.  "My dad is a beekeeper and he takes care of bees...we live really far away and have chickens that will lay eggs in September."  Check out lady starting to get a little more curious and then Evelyn continues to answer any questions she might have about country living.  It is actually pretty hilarious and happens almost every time we go to the store.  Usually the "my dads a beekeeper" line draws the most hilarious responses.

Our newest addition--introducing "Lucky Duck"

All of our chickens have finally grown feathers and our now living outside.  Just when my house was getting quiet Daryl and Evelyn bring home two baby turkeys and two ducks!!!  YAY!  Actually that was not my response!  I was really frustrated because I had just gone through the chick phase for the last month and was kind of happy to have them outside and done with it.  But then something happened!  The baby duck started following Jane around where ever she walked and it was pretty heartwarming.  So I had a change of heart!  I guess country living can do that to you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment